Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Apple Showtime

Go here for details on Apple announcement. Here are my thoughts:
  • iPod 5G: disappointed that it's not the widescreen video, but we knew it was too early. This is a good upgrade, if I didn't know about the possible widescreen video I would get this. Games are also cool, though I will never be able to buy them in China...
  • iPod Nano: they now look like the old Mini, just thinner. I prefer the more squarish design of the first Nano. Colors will surely appeal to girls, I am happy with my black. The difference between 4GB and 8GB is a lot, but not enough to hold an entire music collection.
  • iPod Shuffle: now this I am tempted to buy, even though I already have the first Shuffle. It's just so tiny and cheap. Although the first Shuffle with a headphone/lanyard combo is more wearable than the new one, since there's no cable cluttering.
  • iTunes 7: iTunes on PC never works very well at first, so I will wait for bug fixes before upgrading. It also almost always breaks my podcatcher integration, so I'll wait. I don't think I am going to use Cover Flow though, since I rip all my music and I don't have covers. And since I don't have an iTunes account, I can't download cover art freely.
  • Movie Download: prices are reasonable, video quality seems good. Catalog is very limited, for the moment. Hopefully more studios will jump onboard. But what I think Jobs is counting on to make this successful is...
  • iTV: so that you can stream what you download from iTune Store to your TV. I have my PC wired to my TV, so I can watch video on my TV. But my PC is in the living room, which is not very beautiful. So video streaming is something I would use everyday. Waiting for 2007 Q1...

These are the highlights. My wife and wallet are happy that there's nothing I want to buy at the moment, apart from the inexpensive Shuffle.

No comments: