Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Google Reader? no, Bloglines!

I have many RSS feeds to read daily, so I used a web aggregator to read them. I chose a web and not a desktop aggregator because I wanted to read them both at home and at work, and I also cannot install programs at work. Not to mention that if I install a program which downloads feeds every hour I would skyrocket to the top of internet users in my company and flagged by IT (which actually happened to me, when I used Opera for a little while, so dumb!!).

So my aggregator of choice is Bloglines. It really does everything I need, even though it might not be the best one. I tried Rojo and Newsgator, but I couldn't get their feed display. So I always stuck with Bloglines, even though it seemed to lag behind the web 2.0 revolution.

Last week Google Reader was revamped, and it seemed very attractive to me. The new interface was very cool, and almost similar to what I was used on Bloglines. And it was very fast. I almost decided to switch to it and have one more Google application (after Writely, Spreadsheet, Gmail, and this blog). However for some reason it wouldn't load at work. I could log in and see the main Reader page, but my feeds weren't loading.

Plus, on the same day I tried Reader, Bloglines comes up with its own little changes, which were actually nice enough to convince me to stay with them. The main change was an ajaxy left pane which containes the feeds tree. Previously it was normal html, so whenever the left pane was refreshed it was reloaded completely. Now if there are new posts, the left pane simply updates the post count, without reloading the whole frame.

I will always monitor what Google Reader and others introduce in the future, but for the momet I am happy with Bloglines.

No comments: